A Second Chance

I hug mum with a "good bye" and hurry down the stairs. I was getting late for college. As I cover up a couple of steps, I hear a cat's mewl. Worried that it would pounce on me (though I'm an avid animal-lover, I'm skeptical about letting them get too close. ), I hesitate to step further. My eyes look around for that little thing, but it is no-where to be seen except that I could hear the soft mewls. I gather courage and proceed further. The mewls turn into yowls. Okay, I could sense that things were not that normal. Out of the blue, I see a little paw sticking out of the opening in the wall.... THE WALL!!!??? That "wall" is the wall on the third floor. That "wall" is open from the other side, that is this "opening" is the only thing that can save its life which unluckily is big enough only for that paw! One step to the north and that would the last step of its life.

I gather courage to go near it all the while mum yelling that it would pounce on me. How nice.. I tell myself...that cat cant go through the opening and it will pounce on me!?? marvelous! I was nervous, late for college and desperate to save that cat's life. Mum kept yelling that I would be late for college. I was in no mood to gather my neighbors around. The sight of the paw and the mewl was the only thing that made me stop in my track and turn around, each time wishing that I could be of help.

Without thinking any further, I quietly move on. As I reach the gate, I look up and there I see that little thing mewing with all its might. Feeling stupid and helpless, I pray to GOD, to somehow save its life.

On my way to college and even during the lectures, my mind was totally stuck on the cat. How did it manage to reach there? Anyway, I make up my mind to leave early at 12:00 pm and at around 1:00 pm I'm there, standing right outside my gate. I look up. Where is the cat??!! My eyes wander around desperately with a fear that I may find it lying in a pool of blood. No blood around, what a relief ! I ask mum about it. She says, "how am I suppose to know?.. go do your work". I kept searching for that cat for another few days, but it didn't help.

I never saw that cat again.
Sometimes, you never get a second chance.

Comments

  1. That's true, sometimes one has only one go.

    I guess the cat found its way out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you coulda saved her :-)

    I am sure she found a way to get out. Cats are quite clever. they get their ways :-)

    Cool blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yogesh,

    Hopefully it did... but till date I havnt understood HOW!? jumped from the 3rd floor!!?? it would have got killed for sure..

    But anyway... hope its fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raaji,

    Hey, Thanks for visiting "Thoughts of the Worm" :)

    Yes, Clever.. it describes them perfectly. Guess thats why they say "Cats have Nine Lives" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. well watever happened was destined to happen....remember you had said this to me LONG back...:-)
    same is the case here....so be happy and just move on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avi,

    Yes, I remember... I've let it go. It just taught me something- the last line of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( i understand but i hope somethings happen for a reason...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sachi...

    Welcome! Long time huh..

    Yes, probably everything happens for a reason.. and sometimes the reason goes unidentified.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww..Even I feel the cat would have survived.
    U know what.. Having had like 4 cats[1 after other of course] when I grew up..I ve seen those foolish dainty things getting in and out of trouble as effortlessly as you and I drink water..
    But the moral of the story is really good and may be the cat wanted you to know just that..
    cheers to a g8 post yet again!!
    swat..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swathy,

    4 cats!!! whoa.. next time I come across anything like this, I will call u up to seek advice :D

    but I do agree with wat u say "getting in and out of trouble effortlessly"...

    Thanks dear..
    Take care

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for Visiting "Thoughts of the Worm"
Your comments are highly appreciated.